Thursday, February 21, 2008

The airport is a place of mixed emotions.

***

Right before I opened the shop today, I heard somebody wailing. A girl sat in front of the immigration entrance lamenting at life. She was crying. The father seemed very embarrassed.

He said, “你不要再演戏了.”

But it just led to more wailing from the girl. She looks at least 15 or perhaps even my age. She was choking on her words but I could vaguely make out what she was trying to say.

“我不要回家!” she said, repeatedly.

Her bawling led to a crowd forming. The airport police was called upon and they tried both the soft and hard tactics to cajole her into moving to one side. She was blocking the immigration entrance. When words weren’t enough to make her move, a lady officer threatened to handcuff her. Of course the lady officer did not abuse her own authority but something had to be done to move this over-grown child from the entrance.

Force was resorted. They dragged her. One grabbed the arms and the other, the legs. They dragged her to the side of the entrance. That was all they could afford to move. She struggled. She tried to kick free as the officers carried her to the side. She was left on the floor and she snuggled into a ball. She was still crying. Almost hyper-ventilating.

If I were the father, I would have slapped the kid (even though I am very much a peace lover, and of course I do not promote violence. The kid was just too much to bear.)

If that is a place I call, “家”. I would gladly go to it. No need to drag or coax me into going home. So I do not understand why she would say, “我不要回家.”

Even if the father gave in and stayed on, the next time they reach the airport, the child would still act like a schizoid. So no point giving in now and suffer more later.

In the end, the girl stood up and stopped crying. I don’t know what happened after that because there were customers in the shop. Maybe the airport police negotiator came to talk to her. Haha. Major movement of airport human resources.

***

another point to add, if the girl thinks that by sitting on the floor and bawling would make her father 丢脸 so he would give in to her. then she's wrong!!
脸是自己丢的,面子是人家给的。

No comments:

Post a Comment